St. George's Anglican Church is an Anglican church in Basseterre, Saint Kitts and Nevis.
In 1670 French Jesuits built a church dedicated to Our Lady; in 1706, however, Notre Dame was burned to the ground by English soldiers billeted there.
It was re-built and officially renamed in 1710 St. George's. It was damaged again in the fire of 1763, but once again restored. The earthquake of 1842, followed by the hurricane of 1843, reduced it to so ruinous a condition that an entirely new building was planned.
In 1856 the present Church was begun, and it was consecrated on 25 March 1859. Seven years afterwards, it was gutted in the Great Fire of 1867; and was re-roofed, and restored in 1869.
In a series of hurricanes since 1989, the church was again damaged, but restoration work has since been undertaken on the building.
frenchantillesislandchurchsaint kittsst georgesanglicanst kittscaribbean