The Five-storied Pagoda was built in 942. Along with the other buildings, it has been successively lost to fire and subsequently reconstructed.
In 1648, Tokugawa Iemitsu rebuilt the pagoda along with other structures including the Main Hall and Hozomon Gate. The government declared the pagoda a national treasure in 1911. However, it burned to the ground again during the air raids of March 1945. After World War II, In 1973, the pagoda was also rebuilt, this time to include additional facilities such as a room for mortuary tablets. Relics of the Buddha are kept on the top floor.
- No Comments