Materials for the decoration of the Bahia Palace were sourced from all over North Africa. Marbles were likely originally quarried in Carerra, Italy, and may have been previously decorated other palaces. Cedar for the painted ceilings of the palace apartments was ordered from the Mid-Atlas region, and glazed terracotta tiles came from Tetouan. Artisans from across North Africa and Andalusia were employed in the construction of the palace.
One of the finest elements of the Bahia Palace is the grand marble-paved courtyard, constructed between 1896 and 1897. It is divided into quadrants by paths of multicolored zellige, or enameled terracotta tiles, in a simple checkered pattern. Each quadrant is paved in white marble with thin borders of zellige between each large marble tile.
In the middle of the courtyard is a large rectangular fountain with a smaller round basin at its center. The courtyard is surrounded by open-air galleries roofed in green ceramic tile. The arches that support the inner sides of the galleries feature bright yellow and blue ceramic screens inset above their imposts.
There are 160 different rooms in the palace which are sprawled out in an open, rambling fashion. The reception halls and private quarters are lavishly decorated and there are several tiled courts – often complete with water features – that serve as open air areas where the women could have washed and rested themselves.
- No Comments